GCSE Results Day at Hodgson Academy

Frank Preston (Hodgson Academy)

HODGSON Academy’s students were in high spirits after opening up their GCSE results. 77 per cent of the Class of 2014 achieved at least five A* to C GCSE grades, including English and maths.

Principal Toni Roethling flagged up the Moorland Road school’s English and maths results as particularly impressive. A total of 83 per cent of students achieved an A-C grade in English and 81 per cent in maths.

Mrs Roethling said about the school’s overall GCSE results: “It is a really solid performance from our students in a stormy year of transition for education.”
Nearly one fifth of Hodgson’s students (18 per cent) achieved at least five A* and A grades. Deputy Principal Derek Yarwood said: “Another set of fantastic results have been achieved by the Class of 2014. All of the staff wish the students the very best as they move on to college or in to the world of work.”

Hodgson’s former head girl Hollie Murray, 16, of Staining, was delighted with her haul of six A* and six A grades. She said: “I am extremely proud and excited. All of the hard work that I have put in has paid off. “My worst subject was always French so I am particularly delighted that I have come out with an A*.”

Emily Bradford (Hodgson Academy)Frank Preston, 16, of Great Eccleston, was Hodgson’s highest performing male student with five A*s, five As and two Bs. He said: “I am really pleased with my A* for maths.” Frank is going to study maths, biology, chemistry and geography at Lancaster Grammar School.

Skye Demar, 16, of Hambleton, achieved 7 A*s, 4 As and one B. She said: “I am really pleased and so relieved – I was so terrified that I didn’t sleep last night. I am really pleased with biology and chemistry, as I got A*s in both, and am going to study these at Blackpool Sixth Form College.”

Emily Bradford, 16, of Carleton, was very surprised to get eight A*s and three As. Emily, who aspires to be a MFL teacher, said: “I am really, really shocked – I just didn’t expect to do as well as I have done. I am so pleased to get an A* in English and English Language as I never achieved that in my mock exams.”