Hodgson's current RECOMMENDED READS this half-term given by the HUMANITIES DEPARTMENT:
For advanced readers
Mrs Hawley: ‘Suite Française’ by Irène Némirovsky. Not to sound too dramatic, but this book changed my life! Set in 1940’s France, where the invading German army is crushing the retreating French army. It follows the lives of people living through the horror of this uncertain time. Particularly poignant is that Némirovsky herself was arrested as a Jew in 1942 and detained at Auschwitz, where she later died. The notebook containing the two novels was preserved by her daughters but not examined until 1998.
For intermediate readers
Mrs King: ‘Today I Will’: A Year of Quotes, Notes, and Promises to Myself is a great collection of quotes and notes by Eileen Spinelli. A book of daily advice and insight. The entries range from the broad (self-esteem, the environment, gratitude, and openmindedness) to the simple and specific (Today I will call a grandparent . . . smile at a new kid . . . take a walk . . . and send a snail-mail letter).
Hodgson's Recommended Reading for Pleasure List (Ages 9-12 and 12+)
Click on the heading below to view the full lists.
- The Sleeping Army by Francesca Simon.
- The Boy Who Wouldn’t Swim by Kenneth Steven.
- Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver.
- The Emerald Atlas:The Books of Beginning 1 by John Stephens.
- The Last Wolf by Michael Morpurgo, Michael Foreman.
- Sleepovers by Jacqueline Wilson.
- Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve.
- Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy.
- Palace of The Damned by Darren Shan.
- The Kane Chronicles: The Serpent’s Shadow by Rick Riordan.
- Hades-Halo 02 by Alexandra Adornetto.
- Before I Wake Soul Screamer Book 6 : Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent.
- Wereworld Nest Of Serpents Book 4 by Curtis Jobling.
- The Soul Seekers : Echo by Alison Noel.
- Shelter by Harlan Coben.
- Dissing You Already: Young, Loaded and Fabulous by Kate Kingsley.
- Mortal Engines- Predator Cities 1 by Philip Reeve.
- Brothers To The Death, saga of Larten Crepsley 4 by Darren Shan.
- Brisingr: Book 3 Inheritance Title by Christopher Paolini.
- Ostrich Boys by Keith Gray
The Booktrust has various initiatives and programmes aimed at inspiring a love of books for all. Click http://www.booktrust.org.uk/books/teenagers/booklists/244/ for the 100 Best Books (12-14 years old) from the last 100 years.
Here is a link to a mood-boosting book list by Reading Groups for Everyone, the UK’s largest reading group network: http://readinggroups.org/news/our-mood-boosting-books-list-for-2016?mc_cid=70e9bb4693&mc_eid=41366eff6f
Sign up for free books for children aged five and under from Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library: http://uk.imaginationlibrary.com/