Hodgson Academy recognises that it has a statutory duty to provide impartial and objective Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) in Years 7 to 11. CEIAG at Hodgson is seen as an integral part of the holistic curriculum, which is available for every student.
CEIAG enables the students to make impartial, informed, balanced and appropriate decisions about many key areas of their future development, progression and career pathway. CEIAG is evident in the many strands covered in Personal Social and Health Education (PSHE) and, as such, is delivered predominantly through this curriculum entitlement. CEIAG is also delivered through our curriculum subjects and in progress tutor time to meet the needs of our learners at Hodgson Academy. It is the belief of the academy that CEIAG be delivered in an objective and balanced manner by all staff so that each student receives exactly the same opportunities. CEIAG at Hodgson Academy is completely impartial and it enables students to explore potential pathways.
In addition to this, it is also the philosophy of the academy that any advice or guidance given to students will be personalised and appropriate. Hodgson Academy also believes that working with outside agencies is an invaluable part of the CEIAG curriculum on offer and historical tracking of student progressions beyond Hodgson Academy has proved this to be successful. It is worth mentioning here that Hodgson Academy does not favour one Further Education institution and thus gives all providers an equal opportunity to provide current information to the students.
Aims of CEIAG
- To equip students with the necessary decision making skills about future progression and their destination when they leave Hodgson Academy.
- To provide students with current information on courses at Key Stage 3, 4 and 5.
- To give opportunity for maximum exploration of future careers including work experience opportunities where possible.
- To decrease the possibility of students making incorrect transition choices.
- To understand how the ‘world of work’ works.
- To keep up-to-date with new careers emerging from technological advances.
- To ensure students have a positive experience of IAG.
- To ensure all Year 11 students have at least one post-16 pathway guaranteed when leaving Hodgson Academy.
- To ensure students are tracked beyond Hodgson Academy and that they do not become NEET (not in education, employment or training).
- To ensure students are well equipped for the next stage of their education, training or employment.
- To ensure all PP/SEN students receive further impartial and independent guidance from an external Careers Advisor.
Helpful Contact Numbers and Websites
Fast Tomato (Interactive careers guidance and education for teenagers) www.fasttomato.com
Lancashire Young People’s Service – www.lancashire.gov.uk/yps
UCAS (Manages applications to Higher Education Courses) – www.ucas.ac.uk
Lancashire Interactive (Careers information, advice and guidance) – www.lancashireinteractive.co.uk (Registration code: 46221)
National Careers Service – Tel: 0800 100 900 or www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
Apprenticeships – www.apprenticeships.org.uk
QA Apprenticeships (Technology, digital and IT apprenticeships) – Tel: 0345 074 7825 or www.apprenticeships.qa.com
Blackpool Sixth Form – Tel: 01253 394911 or www.blackpoolsixth.ac.uk
Blackpool and The Fylde College – Tel: 01253 352352 or www.blackpool.ac.uk
Myerscough College – Tel: 01995 642211 or www.myerscough.ac.uk
Preston College – Tel: 01772 225000 or www.preston.ac.uk
Cardinal Newman College, Preston – Tel: 01772 460181 or www.cardinalnewman.ac.uk
Baines Sixth Form – Tel: 01253 883019 or www.baines.lancs.sch.uk
The Apprenticeship Guide www.apprenticeshipguide.co.uk
How2become is the UK’s leading career specialist www.how2become.com/
Neuvoo is a UK search platform for job seekers. www.neuvoo.co.uk/
The school is not responsible for the content of other external websites.
The following guides are available:
Year 11 Job Seeking Guide [PDF]
Sorted – a guide to work-based learning and training providers in Lancashire [PDF]
Free Careers Guide for the North West Available Now!
Careers World Magazine – North-West Edition
CareerMag – Latest Edition