Hodgson works very closely with its feeder primary schools. Here’s a glimpse at some of the collaborative projects undertaken over the past year:
Weekly Transition sessions have been organised for the whole academic year (2016/2017) in block sessions of Maths, English and Science. These were advertised to all primary schools.
The following schools have taken part in these sessions:
• Carr Head Primary School
• Norbreck Primary Academy
• Carleton Green Primary School
• Carleton St.Hilda’s Primary School
• Anchorsholme Primary School
• Thornton Primary School
• Hambleton Primary School
• Poulton St John’s Catholic Primary School
• Breck Primary School
• Staining Primary School
• Poulton St.Chad’s C of E Primary School
• Singleton Primary School
• Baines Endowed Thornton Primary School
• Great Eccleston Copp C.E. Primary School
The MFL department have delivered language sessions at Hambleton Primary School
Hodgson was delighted to welcome small groups of students from Poulton St. Chads, Carr Head, Carleton Green and Blackpool’s Park Community Academy to participate in The National Big Draw, the world’s biggest drawing festival, on 5th October 2016 . These students worked alongside Hodgson’s Year 10 students.
World War 2 Cooking session (November 2016)
35 Year 6 Students from Breck Primary School had a baking session themed on a Second World War recipe at Hodgson. Teacher Lauren Wilkinson led the session, which saw Breck staff and students dressed in WW2-themed costumes.
• Wyre and Fylde Dance Show
• The Wyre and Fylde Primary Netball league is hosted at Hodgson Academy and umpired by our students. The High Fives Netball Rally is held at Hodgson in April. Leaders attend Primary School events such as sports days, tournaments and indoor athletics. Mrs Brunskill also offers coaching and advice to the Primary Schools on different sporting events.
Letters to primary schools
• As part of their PSHE course, 4 of our year 7 classes wrote letters back to their Primary Schools offering advice and reassurance about the transition from Primary to Secondary Schools. These letters were posted out to 31 head teachers earlier this term.
• Weekly/fortnightly ICT support sessions are provided to six feeder Primary Schools by Hodgson’s community ICT Technician Mr Noel.
We held our annual Treasure Hunt evening on the 27th of April 2017. We invite in all the year 6 students who will be starting with us in September for a treasure hunt around the School. Students use the school map to navigate their way around the School whilst completing puzzles along the way. Our current year 7 students were on hand to help the student along the way.
Intake day is on the 7th July, 2017. All our year 6 students joining us in September come into school for a whole day and meet their Progress Tutors and Form groups and experience a mixture of different lessons. We also hold a Mini-Intake day for those students who are the only students coming to Hodgson from their Primary School. Finally we hold a SEND intake day for students with additional needs so they can come in to meet the Teaching Assistants who will be supporting them.